I am in ridiculous amounts of pain.
My stupid un-wise wisdom tooth has decided to make it's way out and join the rest of the other teeth. Unfortunately it's gotten a little lost on the journey and it's coming out side first, which means that the top of the tooth is fighting with my back molar and no-body is winning. All under neath both teeth are infected and very, very swollen.
Check out the golf ball coming out the side of my face:
It felt very swollen but I didn't realise that it was visible to others until I walked into the dentists office and was greeted with, "Oh dear, you look like your in a lot of pain" Then later at the chemist, I was paraded around, no-one could get over how blown out my face was and that the only pain relief I was taking was panadol and 1 panadiene over night.
Sunday it started getting bad but bearable. Sunday night was just horrible and I really thought it was at the peak of my pain threshold. Then came Monday night. Oh.My.Goodness.
Firstly though, this is how Monday panned out. I called the public Oral surgeons office to try to get a rough idea of how long the wait list was. Ms Grumpy receptionist informed me that no surgeries were happening over the next month as the OS was away, then the wait is around 9-10 month. She suggested I just grab some a/b's from the Dr, keep rinsing out my mouth and basically just put up with the pain. She kept yabbering on about flushing a syringe of antiseptic into the flappy part of the gum, BUT as I tried to explain to her there is no entrance to the infection. It is all so deep in the gums. Anyway after getting no sympathy from her I called my darling husband. He suggested that I made an appt with the Dr, get the Ab's then see how I was going.
Now the pain wasn't too bad during the day. Still painful, but I could still function ok. I went along to the Friends of the BC meeting, then headed back to Mothers Group. Then I got a lovely text from Duane to say that he had pulled a few strings and gotten me and appt with a dentist at 3.30pm. Great, there was hope that the pain may be stopped. So at 3.30pm I toddled off full of hope and expectations. The dentist had a quick look and said that it should be easy enough to get out, but he wanted to do an x-ray just to be sure.
Seems my stupid tooth is going to be little trickier that expected. The Dentist explained that he has never done one like this before and he would be worried that it might crack and leave the roots behind. Not sure what the worst case scenario on that would be. He did say that he has "friends" that he could call in and emergency. I do feel confidant that he can get it out, but I wasn't sure how to feel when he mentioned, "You know, I once won an award for taking out wisdom teeth.......ummmm I think it was 19 ummm, 69, yeah 1969"
Oh, good to hear that he is keeping up with the time hey!
Anyway, I have to have a few days of a/b's before any dentistry because of a heart murmur, which I am fairly sure doesn't even exist anymore but dentists are all very nervous about doing anything without them. It'll also help all the swelling go down and hopefully take away a bit of the pain. Then it's all booked in for Wednesday 11.30am. Then apparently I might need a few days rest, Pfft try telling THAT to the kids. I'll see how I'm going, maybe Duane can tear himself away from his job of watching the grass grow to help me out.
SO back to last night. It was horrendous and easily the most amount of pain I have ever been in, and yes that does include childbirth. Good gracious, at least there is excitement and breaks with that pain, this was ALL NIGHT. No break from the excruciating throbbing of my jaw and all the bottom teeth AT ALL. I hate taking codeine as it tends to send me tripping, but all up I took 4 last night. Would you believe that didn't even take the edge off, not one little bit. It was an all consuming throb, my jaw and cheeks are so swollen, hot and stretched. The pain must have been sending signals to my brain all night, and quickly because there was absolutely no relief. I did manage to get 2 hours sleep from 10-12, but the rest of the night I spent pacing the lounge room pleading for the pain to stop and let my tired self sleep. I fiddled around on the computer until 2.30, then nodded of and on for the next 2 hours. The kids decided that it would be fun to wake at 5am, so after Duane left at 5.30am, the kids joined me in the lounge. I set them up with a DVD, then dozed on the couch. I got a little bit of a rest, all the time protecting the side of my face from random objects thrown my way. I really need to teach those kids empathy!
Today it is a little better. I'm still in constant pain, but somehow the noise and busyness around me dulls it a little. It's just the quiet and still of the night that ramps it up a notch. I am not looking forward to tonight though, but the chemist did tell me to try to get stronger pain relief. Nurofen would help it but I can't take it because it thins the blood too much and could cause a bleed when they are extracting. I'll harrass the dentist for something today, I really dont' think that I could get through another night like last night without smashing my face with a hammer.
1 comments:
Goodness, you poor thing! I really feel for you, as I had a filling put over a tooth that needed a root canal recently, and the pain and pressure was agony!
I had to go to hospital as the pain was all through my head and eyes, and even Endone (which is like morphine i think) didn't do A SINGLE THING!
I had to get a needle of some strong antiimflamitory stuff and another jab of ultra strong antibiotic!!
I totally empathise with you...if fact my face is almost sore just thinking about it. Hope you get some relief soon :(
Post a Comment