Duane as Duane

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Today I saw Duane as himself, not being a husband or a Daddy, just being Duane.

It was actually a really special and realising moment for me. I haven't seen that side of Duane for ages.

It was the final round of the Club Champs at The Grand Golf Club and Duane was playing. I wanted to take Grace up to watch a few holes and then celebrate afterwards. Grandma was staying home to watch Xavier, so it was just going to be the girls! When we got up there they had finished, and unfortunately Duane had lost (6&5). He seemed ok about it, probably a little disappointed but ok. We went inside to the clubhouse for a coffee, and that's when I saw Duane as I used to know him. All of the members came up to offer him their commiserations and let him know how well he played considering he doesn't practice. He is such a talented and respected golfer, everybody likes him (well except those he wins the $$off!!) He is so at ease in what I find such a stuffy and boys club environment. He is just so relaxed when he is surrounded by a golf course.

It was good for me to see and remember his passion for the game. Sometimes of a Saturday I do resent him going off to play and me being at home with the kids. I had forgotten that he gets so much enjoyment from it, and although it has taken a back burner lately, golf is still such a huge part of who he is.

One of the members even shouted us all lunch and a bottle of wine, which was a lovely gesture.

Anyway, he has been trying to break the course record and he has now done that. Duane already has won the club champs twice, so even though he would of loved to win again it wasn't his main goal.

Its like I had totally forgotten who Duane is when he is not being a fantastic Daddy or beautiful husband. I have been given a reminder & I love him even more.

0 comments: