2 year olds....Who'd have 'em!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Grace has been a little minx all day, especially this morning.

After an early morning wake-up (5.30am uuhhhhh, I am over early mornings), we got out of bed and I realised that the kids still had snotty noses and were coughing up a storm. So it looked like Grace wasn't going to be going to school today, dammit I really needed her to go today. Xavier has his hearing test & I highly doubt that the 2 y/o terror would sit and be quiet for the duration.

So after cancelling school, I called up Grandma to come and watch Grace for an hour or so. At about 7.30am Xavier was starting to get sleepy so I popped him into bed and he went straight off. I tried to have my breakfast in peace, Yeah fat chance with Grace peering over the bowl and stealing bits of my vita-britx. Eating my breakfast all alone is a luxury that I only get of a weekend when Duane is here to distract the kidlets.

So after about 5 minutes of annoying me, I finally give up and give her the rest of my breakfast and go to get ready. I was just getting into the shower when I hear,

"Wake up Xavier, Wake up Xavier"

I instantly knew what was happening and so I rushed into Xavier room to find Grace yelling at Xavier, but not only was she in the room she had jammed herself up beside his cot and the wall. There was not easy way of getting her out quickly without waking Xavier, It was just a grab and run. I thought that we were safe, but then I could here Xavier starting to wake. I quickly put Grace in her room and ran back to try to resettle Xavier. I spent the next 1/2 hour trying to get Xavier back to sleep, but he wouldn't go. In between this I had Grace running in and out singing and carrying on. By this stage I was rope able, I desperately needed Xavier to have a decent sleep so that he was cooperative at his hearing test.

I tried calmly telling Grace to go to the lounge, but she would just laugh or start talking and at the sound of her voice Xavier's head would pop up. It wasn't going to work and I still needed to have a shower so that we would be ready to go, so I used the box as a babysitter. Xavier was in a shocker of a mood though, he was still so tired

Anyway Grandma turned up at 8.30am and Xavier and I raced out the door, I wasn't sure what the school traffic would be like. The staff were running late, so I got the pleasure of trying to entertain a cranky, overtired baby in the 'must be quiet' waiting room. Joy, oh Joy. I gave Xavier a quick feed and he was just drifting off to sleep when the audiologist (I think that's what their called??) came over and said hi. His little head spun around to see who it was, then his eyes popped open! I was confident then that we wouldn't have any trouble with his hearing.......but.

The first test that Xavier had to do was to test he was picking up different frequencies. He was faced towards the Audiologist (AO for short), and there was a shadow box to his right. She was distracting him with toys, then randomly set off a noise over his back right shoulder to see if he would turn to it. If he turned to it a ridiculously stupid puppet would pop into the shadow box. I thought this was hilarious, there was actually somebody on the other side of the wall doing the puppets. What a job hey! The puppet lady didn't just put the animals through either, she was thoroughly animated with them. It took everything for me not to crack up every time a crazy puppet was thrusted into the box.

Anyway Xavier got the gist of it fairly quickly and turned some of the time. I sat holding him and willing him to turn to the noise, but he was either too distracted or just didn't hear it. After that test the AO shoved a probe thing in his ear, which he was not happy about. He had to stay still AND quiet for about 4 minutes for the reading. Good Luck! I tried to hold him down, but she still couldn't get an accurate reading so we moved onto the next test. This one was to test the pressure inside the middle ear, something about the air and the way it bounces. Xavier's right ear gave a lovely curve on the graph, but the left ear kept on giving a flat-line. She re-did it about 4 times but each time it came up flat. I thought then that something must be up. She took us back to the main room and said she wanted to go check something. When she came back she explained that there seemed to be something wrong with his left ear, could be a fluid blockage or maybe even something was perforated. She also explained that she didn't get a very accurate reading with his frequency test, but it was definitely showing that he had good hearing in 1 ear, but unsure about the other. We have to go back in 4 weeks, to redo it all. Hopefully he is over his horrible cold by then and not so damn tired!

So its back to the Pead to see what he thinks about the results and then probably off to a ENT. Gosh its all costing a fortune.....but I would pay anything for my sweet little boy!

Both kids are still sick and its been going on for way too long. I am taking them too a naturopath on Thursday and hopefully getting a magic pill, they do sell them dont they?

0 comments: