My little sick boy

Monday, March 3, 2008

My poor little boy has another ear infection. Well actually the Dr thinks that it is the same one he had 2 weeks ago, and that the Amoxyl A/b’s didn’t work on it. So he now has some stronger medicine & I am praying that this gets rid of it.

He has been really grizzly of a day for the last 2 weeks. He had finished the 5 days of the Amoxl, 2 weeks ago, and I just thought that it was his teeth bothering him. His front gums are so swollen and red, with little white slits poking through. His front 2 teeth are through, but there are another 4 trying hard to break through. Friday and Saturday night he was really upset. I tried everything to get him to sleep, in the end he slept in with us. He refused to take the dummy, so I just layed down and fed him to sleep and fed him again if he woke. He was screaming in pain, but I was just putting it down to teeth. Well yesterday he was really grizzly again, and always wanting to feed. He went to bed fine at 6pm, but then woke at about 8pm and SCREAMED constantly until 2am. Duane and I tried everything, rocking, cuddling, feeding, dummy, Panadol, bonjella and Duane even had him in the pram walking him around the house at midnight. Nothing was working, he just screamed the house down. I got to sleep a little, whilst Duane held onto him and paced him around the lounge room, just like when he was a newborn! I couldn’t sleep though, not hearing my little boy screaming his little lungs out.

I wanted to call the on-call Dr, but in between settling Grace back to bed and Duane trying to calm Xavier down there was no time to. By this time I knew that it wasn’t just teeth, there was something else wrong and it was causing him immense pain. Finally Xavier went to sleep at 2am and Duane & I crashed into bed absolutely exhausted. Grace woke at 5am and my lovely husband let me keep sleeping. Xavier woke not long after & I gave him a quick feed and put him back into his bed where he slept until 7am.

I feel so bad for my little boy, he was in so much pain and I couldn’t take it away. His face & the inside of his ears are covered in scratches, where he was clawing at his face in pain. The Dr said that the ear infection looks really bad and it would have been causing him so much pain.

We are going awayon the weekend to celebrate Nicole & I turning 30 this week, but if Xavier doesn’t sleep well over the next few nights I think that we will have to cancel. We are renting a holiday house with 4 other couples, and there is no way I will put him or anyone else through it. Normally if he is upset I can comfort him with a breastfeed, but nothing worked last night. I have never felt so helpless with my child.

I hope that the A/b’s kick in soon and he is back being happy!

0 comments: