Well I was obsessively checking the Qtac website last night, after a tip off that the offers would be out early, finally there was something new to look at.
Unfortunately we can not offer you a position in your first preference.
My stomach dropped and I fought to hold back the tears. How did I not get in? I did think that if I did get in in would be only just, but I really thought that my score of 89 would be competitive enough. Apparently not.
Why? Why? Why?
A million things ran through my head as I tried to see the positive of not getting an offer. I can't. This is the course I want. Not nursing and Not midwifery in Brisbane. There is no positive spin I can put on not getting an offer.
I've been on the phone all day trying to work out my options. First up I called Qtac, and was advised that 90 and above got in. I MISSED OUT BY ONE DAMN POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Then after talking to the person in charge of the degree I was informed that over 900 people had put it down in their preferences, that is just an unbelievable amount of people to be competing with. Also, because the course can be done mostly externally, there were so many rural and out of states applicants.
I'm stuck and have no idea what to do. I have a few options, but at the moment NONE of them sound even remotely close to what I want.
Firstly, I could change my preference to Midwifery at ACU Brisbane (you know, the one I rejected last year!) and at least then I'd be on the Midwifery journey and hopefully get awesome results and be able to transfer to Griffith next year. The cons of that are the expense of travelling, the time needed for travelling, maybe not getting into Griffith next year and being stuck doing my whole degree in Brisbane.
There is also the option of Southern Cross Uni at Tweed, they also do the Bach of Mid. It's not a fantastic course though, and it involves full time blocks of clinical which would be a nightmare trying to organise kids around. Its also a lot of at uni time, with not much flexibility for external study. Thing is, I'm not even sure I'd get in there now as even though I'm above the cut off, it all depends if there are any places left.
Second option is to change a preference to Griffith Nursing, and do really well and hopefully get an internal transfer into Midwifery next year. This option would be quite easy, in that yes I would be doing full-time uni but it would be close to home and not have all the follow through requirements that Mid has. Cons of this are that I DON'T WANT TO DO NURSING and what if I don't get a transfer and get stuck finishing a nursing degree that I am not motivated with?
Last option is to just not do anything again this year and apply for Griffith next year. I'm trying to work out from the selectors what I could do to improve my chances of next year. This is a bit of a gamble, as what if I don't get in again? If I was to do this I'd have to be 100% with one of the above options, but then I'd be kicking myself if I didn't get in and I could have at least started this year.
I really don't know what to do. I've spent the day going over and over everything, and calling ever contact I have at Griffith hoping for a sympathy place. I've got the person in charge of selection calling me back tomorrow with a yay or nay as to whether second round offers will be made. She didn't sound too hopeful today when I spoke to her that it would be happening, but maybe luck will fall on my side and someone will drop out and I'll get a place. Fat chance.
It sucks!
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Posted by Kirsten at Thursday, January 14, 2010
Labels: School days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oh Kristen I was thinking of you all day yesterday and wondering if you got in.
So sorry you didn't and to miss out by such a tiny margin - that would just make it worse I imagine.
I have no advice but have everything crossed that someone drops out and their spot becomes yours! Chin up chicken I'm sure it will all work out!
Pen
xx
As someone who just missed out on their preferred choice (many moons ago lol), I would suggest that if you want to go to Griffith, go the Nursing route for the first year. Research if any of the subjects are the same as Midwifery (they may well be) and work your butt off LOL
Apply to change courses at the end of the year. Trust me, being at the same uni and already having a place, it should be relatively easier to swap than if you went to a different uni and tried the transfer option.
I did it with my degree, and I know others who have done the same. Its much easier to 'move up' once you're in.
Thanks for thinking of me!
I'm still really upset, but have to move on and work out my next move.
Mousey - Thanks for the advice, I'm thinking that might be the way to go. I'm just working out what subjects I'd get credited for now.
Post a Comment