I've calmed down a little bit after my big disappointment, I'm even starting to see some alternatives and positives coming out of the situation. Only if I imagine really, really hard though.
Except, when I sit and think about how much I want to get stuck straight into Midwifery subjects, following women through their pregnancy journey and watching slick little babies meeting their parents for the very first time. It's then that the eyes start leaking and I start getting upset about the path I have to take.
Anyway, I've decided to put Nursing at Griffith down as a preference for the second round. I'm not deleting Midwifery, just in case, but I'm accepting that studying nursing for the first year is my only realistic option. If I can complete the whole year and just pass, I'll get a rank of 93 which puts me in with a fighting chance of transferring over to Mid next year. Also I would get credit for 4 of the subjects, which would come straight off my Mid degree when I transferred.
Also, I'm not feeling too upset about actually having to finish the while nursing degree, if I don't get a transfer over to Mid. I'll just have to suck it up for 3 years (or could even be fast tracked to 2.5years) and I'd then go on to do a post grad in Midwifery. I'd then get paid for that last year as a student Midwife and at the end of it all I'd be a RN and RM, which would give me more money and more opportunities. See, not too bad at all. If you ignore the fact over those 3 years I could potenntially be wiping bottoms and feeding people, and they wont be newborns.....
Now I just have to wait and see if I get a place for nursing. The cut off for that is around 68, so I should get in unless all the places are already taken. I've had a chat to the uni, and they are confidant that I'll have no worries, but I'm not accepting that until I get a formal offer. I'm slightly kicking myself now that I didn't originally put nursing down as a option, as by the time I get my offer all the good timetables will be taken and I'll probably be stuck with all the scraps spread over 5 days. Either way it shouldn't be too bad. Nursing is a lot cruisier than Mid, so it'll allow me to ease into uni life with all the boring nursing subjects, before getting into the more interesting ones next year.
So now, I wait until the 4th Feb. Still praying that I get a very late offer for Midwifery, but grateful for a place in nursing.
And, for all my child bearing friends I just have 1 favour to ask. I'd like you to refrain from any baby-making relations until at least July. That'll give me enough time to start up as a student midwife and be able to palpate your bellies. Deal?
Decisions, decisions....
Sunday, January 17, 2010
Posted by Kirsten at Sunday, January 17, 2010
Labels: School days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Kirsten you'll make an AWESOME middie. I've got my fingers crossed for you that this slightly altered & set-back path still gets you to your dream career.
xx Ave
This line had me PMSL...
"If you ignore the fact over those 3 years I could potentially be wiping bottoms and feeding people, and they wont be newborns....."
Post a Comment