Project Xavier

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Xavier had his 12 month check at the clinic on Tuesday.

Everything was going along well, no troubles with development, speech etc. Then came to weighing time. Seems my little boy hasn't put on much weight over the last 6 months. Just over a kilo , which apparently isn't "enough".

He weighs a smidgen under 10 kilos, which means he has dropped down to the 25th percentile. He has always been around the 50th, so I think that's why the MCHN was a little concerned. He has gotten taller though, 79cm (75th percentile), so tall and skinny!

She has asked me to come back for "review", and to try to get him to eat more over the next 4 weeks. I politely explained what he eats and that I though he ate a very good and varied diet and that I didn't really think it was a problem. Stupid me even mentioned that he was still having a feed overnight, she thinks that he might be having too much milk and not enough food.

Look at this tummy, plenty of chub there!
Honestly I am not worried. I really think its a combination of Xav being more active and maybe because he has been sick. I'll just try and get him to eat more over the next 4 weeks, I did offer him a coke and some chocolate earlier, but he didn't' seem interested!

It's funny how differently my 2 kids have grown. Grace was a littly at 2.9kgs, stayed small for 6 months then as soon as she discovered food, took off. She now weighs nearly 16kgs (clothes on), and about 100cm tall. She is so much taller than her friends. Xav was born 3.8kgs, put on heaps of weight in the first 6 months, then not much over the last month.

I am confidant that he is getting the right amounts of food and milk, he's just an energetic little boy that is burning it off and re-distributing his weight into growing tall!