We have enrolled the kids in school.
I know there is a few more years between now and their first day, but apparently to get the school you want, you have to enrol early. I think I have done well to hold off until now, would you believe that some kids are getting enrolled even before they are born. Crazy hey!
So hopefully, all going well the kids will be going the this school.
http://www.silkwoodsteiner.qld.edu.au/
It's completely different from mainstream schooling, but from what I have read and heard about it, it sounds excellent. I've also got a few years to keep researching, if it turns out that it is just a hippy cult, they can just go to our back-up of Gilston Primary!
I am sure that it will be fine though. There are some things about the school that I don't fully understand, but the good far outweighs the bad. I love the fact that the kids learn, through play and by doing practical things. The kids are taught using drama, music, art and dance. I love that they have a vegie garden and a big emphasis is put on appreciating nature. All religions are taught and all cultures are celebrated through festivles.
There is a no TV policy at the school and also parents are encouraged to do the same at home. I am ok with this, I am reducing the amount of Tv the kids are watching already. For the last few weeks we have been successful in cutting it back to only Playschool and the odd DVD. The Tv doesn't go on now until both kids are in bed, heck I am even taping Home and Away. I can't even remember the last time that I watched the news, I don't even miss it at all. Computers aren't taught until class 3 when the kids are around 9 years. Once again it is up to the parents if they want to introduce their children earlier or not. Grace knows about the computer, but she has only ever used it to look at pictures. I really don't see the point of the childrens computer learning games, and as much as Duane would like one, we will never get any of the Wii's, playstation, nintendo or any of the other coma inducing technology for children.
The school is in such a beautiful setting, far away from the glitz of the Gold Coast. Its a relaxing 5 minute drive from our house, avoiding all major roads and therefore traffic. The school is surrounded by beautiful Mr Nathan, with only the sounds of nature.
We drove in just as school was finishing. The school doesn't have a school uniform, the kids just wear plain t-shirts. No brands or logos are allowed on anything, which suits us as I have learnt over time how easily kids are marketed to. Hence our reason to not buy anything gimmicky merchandised products or toys.
All the kids were happy and chatting as they left the school grounds, all dressed in their plain clothing. Grace stood out a bit in the hot pink ensemble she had chosen to wear for the day.
It's a peaceful walk from the car park to the school. Past the new Prep rooms, over a bridge and up to the main part of the school. The school has been built to blend in with the environment, so nothing gaudy, just nice neutral earthy colours.
Duane took the kids to the play area whilst I filled out forms and payed the $75 enrollment fee. I also ran into an old colleague that I worked with at Jalpak Travel. Her 3 kids have all attended the school and she couldn't have spoken more highly of it.
W all felt really comfortable with the decision. Grace has been talking non-stop about her new school, haven't the heart to let her know that she has another 2 1/2 years before she actually gets to go.
Actually thats not totally true. I have also enrolled in the playgroup, so depending on when a vacancy comes up I will be fitting that in to our already busy week. Just another reason why I might take Grace out of Daycare, I am running out of days to do everything.
So there you go, my kids are enrolled in school.
Getting in early
Saturday, August 30, 2008
Posted by Kirsten at Saturday, August 30, 2008
Labels: School days
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment