Student Midwife

Friday, February 4, 2011

I can't believe that I haven't blogged about this already, but I am now officially a Student Midwife!!!

My transfer approval came through the day before the flood disaster in Brisbane, so whilst I was over the moon about getting an offer, it didn't feel right getting so excited when such a tragedy was unfolding only an hour from here.

I was excited though, and thrilled that all my hard work last year finally paid off! I'll admit though, that I have had a few moments of thinking it all might be too hard and just sticking to nursing.  But, after talking to those that have done the nursing and then Midwifery, I'm once again convinced about sticking to what I really want.

I am now finished with all the boring nursing subjects and able to really get stuck into the exciting and challenging midwifery courses.  I also get to follow the journey of pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period with 30 women over the degree, 6 I have to do in the first year!  I'm nervous and excited how I'm going to fit it all in: prep drop-off, pre-school drop off, Uni, Wife, Mum, hospital shifts and being on call for births - some super organisation skills are going to have to be implemented!

There was also a little surprise on my Academic transcript when I last checked it (it seems obsessively looking at it keeps me motivated!)  An Academic Award for Excellence, it is given to everyone with a GPA over 6.00 - which equates to being in the top 5%!  So, something that I am very proud of.  Let's see if I can keep the momentum up now that the pressure of getting a good enough grade to transfer is no longer looming.

1 comments:

Charlene said...

Arghhhh! So excited for you Kirsten :) You have worked so so so hard, and you totally deserve that tranfer into your dream course!!