First week of Prep a HUGE success!!
There were tears on the first - lots from me and a few from Grace, but the rest of the week went smoothly and even better than I expected. It was only in the last few weeks of pre-school that Grace was happy to wave goodbye without the clinging and pleading for me to stay longer, so I am amazed and proud that this week at Prep has gone so well.
We had quite the fan club attend Grace's first day (Grandma, Nanny, Duane, Me and Xav), so that in itself was enough to make the situation overwhelming. Grace was keen to go though, getting ready nice and early and excited to meet up with her friends. We got to the school at 8.30am, and mixed in with the other parents and children who were showing varying degrees of nervousness and excitement. Grace was sticking close to Duane, but was happy to tag along finding her bag-cubby and unpack her lunch box and drink bottle.
It was just so overwhelming and emotional, sending my little baby girl off to school and knowing that she'd be there for five whole days for about 13 years. Unbelievable.
The rest of the week went wonderfully. There were no more tears, just eagerness and excitement to get to school, including lots of nagging from about 7am about when we can get going!
It's been a bit hard getting out of her what she has been doing but she's slowly revealing the mystery that is the school day. I know they do Yoga everyday, and she's been showing us all the poses she is learning. They also have a dry creek bed that they fill up with water 2 days a week for the kids to play in - how cool is that!. We have been reminded to pack a rash vest and swimmers on those days so that lots of cool water fun can be had! They are also learning Italian, and have been reading "Pinocchio" in the language. She's talked about drawing, playing in Home corner, reading, hearing lots of stories, playing outside, singing, dancing and generally having a fantastic time. The kids are also given the opportunity for a rest after lunch, which Grace did on the first 2 days. I was prepared for her to be exhausted after the first few days, but having the rest meant she was fine and wide awake till 8pm!!! She didn't sleep the last 3 days though, and although she is a lot more tired, she's not as feral as I expected.
Seeing her in her little uniform is beyond adorable. Although she is one of the youngest in her class (the children have to have turned 5 before starting), she is one of the tallest and definitely didn't have the problem of an over-sized uniform! Each day is a different colour, which works wonderfully as I only have to wash the uniform once a week!
~~Monday is Purple day~~
~~Tuesday is Red day~~
~~Wednesday is Yellow Day~~
(We took Grace's friend Sairayah to school today as her Mum had an early appointment)
(We took Grace's friend Sairayah to school today as her Mum had an early appointment)
~~Thursday is Orange day~~
~~Friday is Green day~~
Morning tea is provided and the kids are all involved in the preparation, which is fantastic as it means I only have to send lunch - bonus! Monday they made rice with beans,seaweed and soy sauce (big hit with Grace!), Tuesday was fresh fruit with Jalna natural yoghurt, Wednesday they made fresh bread, Thursday was carrot cake and Friday was apple crumble. I'm salivating over it all!!
She is eating like a horse though, and after the first day requested that I put more food in please! Seems a sandwich, snack cup of yoghurt, capsicum, cucumber and cheese is not enough lunch for my growing girl! She's been loving everything I've packed though, so I've kept it the same and just added some watermelon and banana bread. The lunch tins still coming home empty, but she says it's enough now.
I've worked out the time we have to leave home perfectly, 8.30am! It's a 7min drive door-door meaning we arrive in perfect time to pack things away and go into the class room at 8.45am - I love living so close and not having any traffic!! Pick up is similar, we leave here at about 2.35pm, ready for Miss Pam to bring out the children at 3.50pm. There's also the option of driving straight up to the pick-up zones between 3.00pm and 3.10pm, where Miss Pam will open the door and buckle the child in and you can keep going! This also can be done for morning drop-off - perfect for all the Mum's with new little babies, especially in this horrid heat we have had lately.
I'm just so proud of how wonderful Grace has taken to being at school. I was unsure how she'd go as she's quite a sensitive and emotional little girl, who loves to be with Duane and I. She's confidant though, and is adapting to the new environment and situation with absolute ease. I'm hoping next week goes just as smoothly.

2 comments:
Thursdays are quite bright aren't they :-)
Wow Kirsten, doesnt Grace look all grown up! Reading about your tears made me get all teary too. Im such a wus! lol I was also salivating at the food, I love Jalna yoghurt! Do you mind my asking which school she goes to as I am on the GC too?
Post a Comment