OK, so to be realistic I really wasn't expecting big things tonight. I have been very good with eating though, well up until last night that is.
Duane was given a free meal for all of us in exchange for some late night limo work that he did last week. Now, given the opportunity of a completely bill-free meal, I decided to ditch the points and just have whatever.
Well, it seems that the WW cult has invaded my psyche and I can't look at food without mentally working out its point valley. It's a cult I tell ya. I'm brainwashed and therefore felt compelled to make reasonable selections from the menu. I decided on the seafood, which although had some deep-fried, it also had a huge salad and I only had 5 of the chips and left the rest. I also stopped myself after 1 piece of garlic bread (I highly doubt they would be using low fat marg - Eeek! Imagine all those points!!) And as hard as it was, I resisted the sticky date pudding with butterscotch sauce and home-made vanilla ice-cream. Now that was extremely hard, but once again my mind was in overdrive calculating the millions of points that would be. Instead I chose a small piece of apple crumble with a dollop of custard. Still not fantastic, but the best of a point-laden bunch.
The kids were fantastic and I was so proud of the way they behaved in the restaurant. They got to order what they wanted, both choosing calamari, chips and salad. They took turns telling the waitress what they would like and used impeccable manners each time she served them. It was such a lovely, enjoyable dinner and felt more like going out with grown up kids, not a little 2 y/o and a nearly 4 y/o. The only other child there was a little boy, probably close to being 3, who was being a little loud but certainly not disruptive or too bad for a little kid. Whilst we were there he was smacked 3 times, all for things that seemed to be so trivial. One of the times he was playing with a car and driving it over his part of the table, the Mum whacked him on the hand and yelled at him through gritted teeth. I felt so sorry for him. Luckily my 2 didn't see any of this happen, I was waiting for Grace to ask all the ?? and wasn't sure how I would answer.
Anyway, after dinner Duane took the kids round to the indoor playground whilst I donated some money via the pokies. I haven't played them for a long, long time and as per usual they gobbled up my $10 eagarly and I was left bleary eyed from all the bright spinning lights. Oh well, thats my donation for this year! Duane put a few keno's on, and he donated too.
It was a great dinner, made even more better by not having to worry about the bill at the end. Seems all my whinging last week about Duane working all the time paid off!
Ok, a bit of track. Back to WW. I was going to be happy to not put on this week, and I came so close to doing this. I only lost 100 grams, but a lose is a lose and I'll happily take it. This loosing weight business is a slow process now that I am coming down to the last few kg's.
Slow and steady will get there in they end I guess.
WW week 10
Thursday, October 8, 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When I was pregnant with Grace, my blood tests showed up that my cholesterol was very high. As nothing could be done when I was pregnant or breastfeeding, I had to wait to redo the test and figure out what was happening. It's something that I really need to keep an eye on as my Dad died of a very young age of a Heart attack. As Duane had the week off, I decided to head to the Dr this week and get it done. I was also prompted by the fact that I have been utterly exhausted lately with not real reason why. No, I'm definitely not pregnant, definitely.
Maybe its too many late nights or maybe I'm low in iron, but whatever it is it's leaving me so tired and needing copious amounts of coffee to last the day. I'm even having to nap during the day, something that I rarely do. So headed off to the Dr on Wednesday to get a few things checked out. She checked my BP and heart, all seemed perfect. Then she gave me a referral for a full fasting blood test.
I woke this morning and as I wasn't feeling too hungry I decided to head down for the test today. It's only about a 20 minute walk from my house, so I walked down at about 8am. They usually have trouble getting my blood, so I was advised to drink lots of water to get it flowing nicely. After a little wait, it was my turn to go in. I told the women that I have a slight needle phobia and then joked about my daughter and her over reaction to blood! She had a feel around my arms and was struggling to get a good vein. She tried both arms, putting the arm bandy thing on them and got me to pump and make a fist, but none of the veins were coming up big enough. She slapped my left arm a bit, then finally a little vein popped up. Cause she had to get so many vials of blood (4 big ones and 2 little ones) she put the canula and started. My arm was starting to ache from the pressure of the band, but she needed to keep it on to keep the flow. It was getting really sore, so she called the other nurse in to milk the arm as after the first vile the blood had slowed right down.
So now my arm is starting to thump from the circulation being cut off and one nurse massaging the blood down. I was starting to feel a little light headed, but not too bad. Then suddenly, my vision was blurred by bursts of flashing white. I told them I wasn't feeling too well and didn't think I could go much longer. By this stage only 3 1/2 vials had been filled (still 2 1/2 to go), but the nurse took one look at me and realised she had to get the canular out soon. I was slipping in and out, and silently wishing I would stay completely out of it as the heavy, dizziness and nausea took over. That feeling of being on the brink of passing out, would be one of the worst things to experience. I hate it. I wavered for a bit longer, the nurses both trying to hold me up whilst saying "Stay with us, deep breathes, c'mon stay here Kirsten" One of them was waving a giant piece of cardboard in my face, which I remember was really annoying me but I couldnt' get it together enough to tell her to stop. I started coming around, then the overwhelming need to vomit came, so I was handed a rubbish bin. Luckily I didn't end up vomiting and was starting to feel slightly better. I sat for a bit longer, trying to get control of my breathing, then they helped me over to the bed. I was shaking and shivering, having hot and cold sweats. The nurse gave me some water then told me to have a rest and she would call Duane to pick me up. I'd told her earlier that I has walked down and was planning on walking home, not a very good idea though.
After about 10 mins, my colour had come back and I felt like I could get back up. Then I was given the not-so-great news that I would have to go back for the 2 viles of blood they missed out on. Dammit. But at least the ones where I had to fast were taken, so I could go of an afternoon for the next ones and they will be nice and quick.
I'm left now with a very sore arm and a huge bruise around the needle area. I'm not fantastic with blood tests, but I really think the main trouble with this one was the quantity of blood taken combined with having to fast.
Duane came was called to come pick his very dramatic wife up from pathology.
And I wonder where my daughter gets her dramatic reaction to blood from?
Posted by Kirsten at Thursday, October 08, 2009
Labels: Mum's body
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Oh you poor thing re. the blood test :(
I used to pass out, but when I was pregnant with Ry the Gp thought I had gestational diabetes (I didn't, it was heart pulpitations) and I had to have a blood test every day for a week grrr
(I'm cured now though lol)
Post a Comment