September

Sunday, October 23, 2011

September has been and gone.  Spring was here too, although for a brief moment and has now morphed back in to winter.  I've been busy studying, midwifing, parenting, procrastinating and trying to keep all balls in the air.  There was a mid-semester breakdown last week.  I'd had enough of spending the days trying to write essays, construct reports and just generally keep up with the uni work load.  I wanted to be out enjoying the beautiful spring weather with my family, not stuck in the abyss of databases.  My mini breakdown coincided with the "normal" mid semester break on the timetable.  Unfortunately my course doesn't allow for such a frivoulous waste of time, so we just keep ploughing on.  I am taking this week off doing shifts though so I can at least spend some time doing fun stuff with the kids whilst Grace is on holidays.  I still have course work, appointments and a few quick hospital appointments I have to make.  I've also got someone coming up to their birthing day, so that can always change even the best laid plans.  I've completed all my skills and practical exams now, so just needing to finish all my hospital hours, 2 assignments, 1 exam and then I am officially halfway to being a midwife.  Oh, that is a little exciting and very scary.  I've also been fortunate to be invited into the honours program, which apparently is a big deal and something I should be putting some serious thought in to.  Later, when I have time I'll think about it.

Apart from the pulling and tugging in all different directions, I'm loving this semester.  Having so much practical at the hospital is fantastic, and although there are some people to be wary of, most of the midwives are wonderful and so keen to share knowledge with the next wave of midwives.  It's such a hands on course, and I'm still blown away about some of the exeriences that I've already had.

The kids are wonderful.  Grace is enjoying her holidays, spending lots of time with Grandma and Daddy.  Next week though I have some fun adventures planned with her and I.  She had her spring festival on the last day of term and was so excited to be hanging out with the big primary kids. The theme was "Dreamtime" and all the children where asked to wear yellow, red or black.  The older kids danced around the maypole, which was mesmerising and exciting for everyone.   All the classes had been busy coming up with business adventures to develop and sell at the spring markets.  The preppies got off easy and just had to harrass their parents for home made goodies, which were sold at the market for 50 cents per serve.  Some of the wonderful ideas from the older classes were badges, ice blocks, potted vegies and seedlings, second hand clothes, mystery show bags and face painting.  The children were all asked to bring along $5.00 to spend, which managed to go along way as everything was so cheap.  Grandma also came along, but spent most of her money on the children that were busking


She also lost her second tooth.  It had become wobbly on Jaspers birthday and she lost it on Logan's birthday!  It was put out for the tooth fairy, who left another little charm for her bracelet.


0 comments: