Change of plans....

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The last few days my whole study plans have been turned all upside down. I was all planned to take 2 or 3 of the nursing subjects, and looking forward to another 3 leisurely weeks of break until I e-mailed the Midwifery Convener to ask her opinion on which of the Nursing subjects would be best to enrol in. She replied on Thursday with a response that I'd never expect in my wildest dreams. She's offered for me to take 1 or 2 of the Midwifery subjects at Logan with the Midwifery students!! I'm stunned, but flattered and after freaking out a bit, I"m taking her up on the offer. I've decided to just do the 1 subject of Mid and the other Anatomy nursing subject, so just the 2 for this semester. But instead of my break, this course starts on MONDAY!!! It's really flexible though, I only have to go to uni on the 12th July and the 22nd July, and everything else in on-line and self-deirected.

It doesn't meant that I'm in to Midwifery yet, I still have to do really well and maintain at least a 6 GPA, which is roughly a distinction level. It just means that I'm doing a subject that I'll get credit for and FINALLY I get to do something pregnancy/birth related. I've just had a quick look at the course outline, and we will be doing a placenta dissection - way, way cooler than the rat!

I'm so nervous about it though. It's going to be a tough subject, covering the anatomy and physiology of reproduction, pregnancy, birth and the newborn. The mid students have done a condensed Anatomy which covered the whole 12 systems briefly in 6 months, whereas the one I'm doing covers them over 1 year. So, I haven't even touched on reproduction systems. I am reading the chapter over the weekend and hoping that I can at least have a basic knowledge and bluff my way through. It will work out great for end of semester though, as I'll be studying reproduction in both courses and hopefully it'll help in exams.

I'm also really nervous about being the new one in the group. There are 50 people already started Midwifery, and no doubt all formed friendships and may be hard to break into. I do know 1 girl though, so I'll just super glue myself to her and hopefully it'll be fine and they'll be nice. The other thing that worries me is that in nursing there is a lower entrance rank, which means lots of students that don't do as well. However, in the midwifery the rank was ridiculously high and mostly the people that got in have previous degrees and therefore a higher standard. I'm just hoping that I can still do well in such a high standard group.

Anyway, all that aside I'm still stoked that on Monday I'll be starting my first Midwifery subject!

1 comments:

Rebecca said...

How exciting for you, it does sound really interesting. Good luck tomorrow on your first day!