Gosh, it's only 10 days away until Christmas Day.
Every year, I can't believe how quickly it's gone - but this year seems to have gone even quicker!
Every year, I can't believe how quickly it's gone - but this year seems to have gone even quicker!
The kids are really excited this year, it's the year that they both get it and have a simple understanding of what is happening and keen to join in the festivities.
I've been busy over the last month making decorations for the house, including this nativity set:
I love the nativity scene, and it's taken pride of place near the front door. The kids know its something that can only be played with at the little table, and haven't broken this rule yet.
I also have some short stories about Advent and the lead up to Christmas that I have been reading to the kids every night. There are 4 stories, with the same story read every night for a week and then changed to the next story every Sunday. The story is a simple, child's version of Mary and Josephs travels to Bethlehem and the birth of Baby Jesus. The kids have a special candle each that we decorated with beeswax, I light their candle every night and then read the story by candlelight using the nativity scene I made to rein act the scenes from the book. The kids are entranced, and the looks on their faces as they glow in the candlelight is just beautiful.
I really want the children to have a background as to why we celebrate Christmas, and to build the proper foundations so hopefully we don't get gobbled up in all the consumerism that's popular at this time. I also want the month of December to be full of anticipation for the big day, something that is desperately missing in our "have it NOW" society.
I've tried to make all of our gifts this year, which I am pleased to say are nearly all done. Just a few to finish off and then its time to wrap everything up. I am so happy with how they have all turned out, and positive that they will be appreciated. I've just got some cooking presents to make and then it'll all be finished.
Speaking of wrapping paper, that's another thing we have had fun with this year. I got some cheap brown paper from Aldi that had been reduced to $1.99 a roll, with the perfect Christmas project in mind as I bought it. We layed it out on the outside table, got some paint out in red, green and silver and let the kids go nuts! It was A LOT of fun. Very messy, but a great morning project for the kids and also looks fantastic. We threw some glitter on to pretty it up, and voila - Customised wrapping paper!
~~Xav getting messy with paint~~
This next project is something that I have wanted to do for a few years, but never could make up my mind exactly what I wanted. I tossed up making a wooden one, but then decided that a hand sewn Advent Calendar might last and look better for longer. Each little pocket can either hold a special treat or a little letter. This year, I've decided to put little notes in, with an exciting thing to do for the day. Now, because they are kids and EVERYTHING can be made to be exciting, some days just say Grace goes to school today and then a very special story tonight or A trip to the park in the afternoon. I've also been sneaky and slipped things in that we would have been doing anyway, like the playgroup Christmas party, friends coming over and Christmas carols. Doesn't really matter whats written on the paper when they excitedly pull it out each morning, they are both thrilled with anything!
Whats December without the fun of Carols? This is the 2nd one we went to this year, at the Runaway Bay soccer club. It was small, but ticked every necessary box for the kids - Santa, fireworks, singing and dancing. They had a fantastic time hanging around the stage and dancing up a storm. Xav was slightly terrified when the fireworks started banging, clinging to me rather tightly.
I'm really loving this time of the year, especially with 2 little helpers that are full of enthusiasm and excitement.
1 comments:
You are SO clever!! Wow I bet my kids wished that you were their Mummy!!
I love everything you've made and would love to see photos of the stuff you have been sewing aswell.
Post a Comment