2 little excited children have just been tucked up in bed and hopefully sleep will come soon. I remember as a child the excitement on Christmas eve, and taking ages to fall asleep. Part of it was I didn't want to miss catching Santa as he crept in with the pressies, and part of it was just the sheer anticipation of Christmas day.
We've had a busy day at home baking and a quick trip to the shops to pick up last minute things. The kids and I had a little production happening in the kitchen, whipping up chocolate truffles, mini Christmas puddings, shortbread, gingerbread and rocky road ice-cream cake for tomorrow. The baking is mostly all for FIL, who is getting loaded up with home-made goodies - which he should enjoy as the mil is away for 6 weeks.

The kids hand rolled all the truffles for me and each had their own bowl of coconut to dip in to. can't say that they are all even, or even balls for that matter, but they are made with love and they had a great time making them.
We wrapped up all our presents for friends and family today. I was quite proud that all except one were home-made, I couldn't work out what to make a 10 year old girl, so I resorted to a photo album and Hannah Montana book. I only just made it in time with the others though, finishing off the last of the sewing just this afternoon.
After a rest for both kids, we spent the rest of the afternoon playing outside. Grace & I finished off some cooking, whilst Xav rode Grace's bike up and down the patio.
The kids had a bath, then it was time to each open one (selected by Mummy!) present from under the tree. If the excitement from opening 1 present was anything to go by, tomorrow is going to be out of control! Both kids carefully unwrapped their present. Xav got a pair of summer pj's with robots on them, which suits his night time routine perfectly. Every night Duane carries him to the toilet and then to bed, all the way pretending to be a robot. Xav loves it and if by any chance Duaen forgets, he quickly reminds him to be a robot, Daddy. Grace was over the moon to be finally getting the nightie she had been modelling for me last week, Duane got a new pair of boxers (bummer the security tag was still attached though), and I got a pair of pink stripy pj shorts with matching singlet.

I'd prepared a little dinner box for the kids to eat in the car on the way to looking at the Christmas lights. It was a selection of tomato, cucumber, little sausages and a sandwich. They both enjoyed eating it, until Xav started on the tomato. Now poor Xav has had a HUGE ulcer on his tongue for the last few days, and me being a ding-bat gave him TOMATO. He screamed, which is also something he has been doing for the last 2 nights because of his tongue, and quickly spat it out again. I can't believe I gave something so acidic to my sweet little boy that has a raw, angry looking ulcer on the tip of his tongue. I took him to the chemist to get something for it yesterday, and the girls there were quite surprised with how big it actually was. I bought some ulcer gel to put on it, which must sting as Xav screams every time I put it on. Poor little boy is struggling with eating too, anything too hard or big and he starts crying and saying his tongues sore. So there has been lots of custard and soft foods. Hopefully it's a bit better tomorrow so he can pig out on yummy Christmas food!
The lights were great, both kids were in awe of the twinkling. We walked around the whole street, inspecting every section of each display. Grace was mesmerised by the reindeer statues and in the car home asked a million questions about them. Why have I never seen a reindeer? Do the reindeer come inside when Santa does? Why do we only leave out 1 carrot when Santa has lots of reindeer?
At the last lot of lights we went too, Santa was standing on the corner yelling out Merry Christmas to everyone, which sent both Grace and Xav into giggling messes. It was a good enough bribe though to tell them that he was just having a break and we had to get home quickly and hop into bed so that we were all asleep before he visited. They were both happy with this, so we hightailed it home for a quick change into new Pj's, quick look at the lights down the road, obligatory juice, cookie, carrot and water left out for the visitors and then the last story using our nativity scene. This is the one that Grace has been waiting patiently for all month, finally baby Jesus was born. A blow of the candle each, then into bed.
Duane and I spent the rest of the night assembling, wrapping and stuffing stockings all whilst listening to the Carols in the Domain in the background. Thank goodness this year there were no big items to wrangle together, so a very calm Christmas Eve.

So now, underneath the tree is laden with presents from us to the kids, stockings are full of Santa's presents and there are also 2 special presents each from Santa. I can't wait for the morning to see the joy in their eyes as they rip open the paper.
I'm loving Christmas more and more as I get to experience it through the eyes of my own children. Their excitement is contagious.
We've had a busy day at home baking and a quick trip to the shops to pick up last minute things. The kids and I had a little production happening in the kitchen, whipping up chocolate truffles, mini Christmas puddings, shortbread, gingerbread and rocky road ice-cream cake for tomorrow. The baking is mostly all for FIL, who is getting loaded up with home-made goodies - which he should enjoy as the mil is away for 6 weeks.
The kids hand rolled all the truffles for me and each had their own bowl of coconut to dip in to. can't say that they are all even, or even balls for that matter, but they are made with love and they had a great time making them.
We wrapped up all our presents for friends and family today. I was quite proud that all except one were home-made, I couldn't work out what to make a 10 year old girl, so I resorted to a photo album and Hannah Montana book. I only just made it in time with the others though, finishing off the last of the sewing just this afternoon.
After a rest for both kids, we spent the rest of the afternoon playing outside. Grace & I finished off some cooking, whilst Xav rode Grace's bike up and down the patio.
The kids had a bath, then it was time to each open one (selected by Mummy!) present from under the tree. If the excitement from opening 1 present was anything to go by, tomorrow is going to be out of control! Both kids carefully unwrapped their present. Xav got a pair of summer pj's with robots on them, which suits his night time routine perfectly. Every night Duane carries him to the toilet and then to bed, all the way pretending to be a robot. Xav loves it and if by any chance Duaen forgets, he quickly reminds him to be a robot, Daddy. Grace was over the moon to be finally getting the nightie she had been modelling for me last week, Duane got a new pair of boxers (bummer the security tag was still attached though), and I got a pair of pink stripy pj shorts with matching singlet.
I'd prepared a little dinner box for the kids to eat in the car on the way to looking at the Christmas lights. It was a selection of tomato, cucumber, little sausages and a sandwich. They both enjoyed eating it, until Xav started on the tomato. Now poor Xav has had a HUGE ulcer on his tongue for the last few days, and me being a ding-bat gave him TOMATO. He screamed, which is also something he has been doing for the last 2 nights because of his tongue, and quickly spat it out again. I can't believe I gave something so acidic to my sweet little boy that has a raw, angry looking ulcer on the tip of his tongue. I took him to the chemist to get something for it yesterday, and the girls there were quite surprised with how big it actually was. I bought some ulcer gel to put on it, which must sting as Xav screams every time I put it on. Poor little boy is struggling with eating too, anything too hard or big and he starts crying and saying his tongues sore. So there has been lots of custard and soft foods. Hopefully it's a bit better tomorrow so he can pig out on yummy Christmas food!
The lights were great, both kids were in awe of the twinkling. We walked around the whole street, inspecting every section of each display. Grace was mesmerised by the reindeer statues and in the car home asked a million questions about them. Why have I never seen a reindeer? Do the reindeer come inside when Santa does? Why do we only leave out 1 carrot when Santa has lots of reindeer?
At the last lot of lights we went too, Santa was standing on the corner yelling out Merry Christmas to everyone, which sent both Grace and Xav into giggling messes. It was a good enough bribe though to tell them that he was just having a break and we had to get home quickly and hop into bed so that we were all asleep before he visited. They were both happy with this, so we hightailed it home for a quick change into new Pj's, quick look at the lights down the road, obligatory juice, cookie, carrot and water left out for the visitors and then the last story using our nativity scene. This is the one that Grace has been waiting patiently for all month, finally baby Jesus was born. A blow of the candle each, then into bed.
Duane and I spent the rest of the night assembling, wrapping and stuffing stockings all whilst listening to the Carols in the Domain in the background. Thank goodness this year there were no big items to wrangle together, so a very calm Christmas Eve.
So now, underneath the tree is laden with presents from us to the kids, stockings are full of Santa's presents and there are also 2 special presents each from Santa. I can't wait for the morning to see the joy in their eyes as they rip open the paper.
I'm loving Christmas more and more as I get to experience it through the eyes of my own children. Their excitement is contagious.
0 comments:
Post a Comment