Unfortunately my diagnosis was correct. Xav has a disgusting case of Hand, foot and mouth disease, sounds gross doesn't it?
Apparently it's not as bad as it sounds. It's actually a viral infection that causes spots that turn into blisters on the hands, feet, mouth and in the nappy area. Ulcers usually come up in the mouth too which make it hard to eat anything unless it's soft and mushy. It's also accompanied by a cold, fever and generally feeling like crap. Xav has been extra tired and grumbly, but not too bad.
My poor little boys face is all spotty and horrible looking. He has sores all around his mouth, on his cheeks and up both of his nostrils. His little bot-bot is so red, and angry looking. I don't think they are upsetting him, they just look horrible.
The Dr took one look at him and confirmed it straight away. She asked if he was in daycare, as it is most common there. I told her that he wasn't' but his older sister was, but she had no symptoms at all. I called the childcare to check if it was going around but they have no cases of it up there at the moment, so I am stumped as to where he has picked it up from. He has been around a few other kids with runny noses, but none of them are showing any signs of the spots.
She said that once you have it you are generally immune for life, which I guess is a good thing and maybe I should encourage Grace to get it now?
I did have the awful job of contacting all the parents of the kids that we have been in contact with over the last week. We spent Monday with Malia, Noah, Emily, Hazel and Logan, and I am just hoping and praying that none of them have caught it. Even though I would never have been able to guess (before the spots) that Xav had anything, is still feel terrible that other kids have been exposed to it.
So I am stuck at home with both kiddies until the blisters clear up, which can take between 2-7 days. Oh joy!
The kids are watching way, way too much of the idiot box. I've burnt all the little videos I have taken over their lives and they are watching them over & over & over again. Might even make a quick trip to the video shop and get some movies for when being stuck at home for this long gets the better of me. We all are so used to getting out and about every day. It's a very rare day that we stay at home. The kids are used to being out and sociable, with playgroup, 2 mothers groups, the library, the park and of course shopping.
We are all going to go crazy.
On a side note we did go to the Steiner School open day last night. Wendy came to look after Xav, so just Duane, Grace & I went along. It really just confirmed to me that this is the school that I want both kids to go to. It is truly beautiful and you could really feel the energy, excitement and motivation that all the students have. The class rooms are just gorgeous, with the smell of nature intoxicating as you enter. The walls are filled with beautiful artwork, the shelves are loaded with all natural toys. The rooms are not clinical, they seem to be full of life. We had a tour with 1 of the grade 4 students. He showed us around his classroom that had been made into a mini town. Each student had a "shop" within the town - bank, news agency, post office, hairdresser, op shop and plenty more. Each child was paid a wage from doing their "job" and then they could spend it in the town. Everything they earn and spent was written in their workbook. It looked and sounded like so much fun, and what a great way for kids to learn.
Grace loved it and is asking all the time when she can go to her big school. Just over 2 years to go, and my little girl will be going to prep. Where does the time go?
I was right
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Posted by Kirsten at Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Labels: Bad Days, School days, sick, Xavier
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment