Mixed up colours

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Grace's school has a different colour and theme for every day of the school week.  They aren't restricted to just wearing that days particular coloured school top, but mostly the preppies want to be like everyone else in their class, so they are very diligent on wearing the "right" colour on the right day.  Some of the more outgoing kids wear their orange top on green day, or purple top on yellow day - just to test the waters of going against the grain.

Having a different top each day is working wonderfully with my style conscious daughter, it appeals to her sense of  fashion whilst also embracing her love of predictability and knowing what comes next.  She knows that on purple day she has seaweed, rice and seeds for morning tea, they do Italian lessons and music lessons.  She also loves green day (Friday) as they all go on a bush walk, get to cook and eat something made from rolled oats and make a booklet with their group on what they did that day.

So, a few weeks ago I made a big mistake.  I was at a Midwifery seminar until late (my excuse!) and didn't get home until around midnight.  Combined with an early morning wake up (thanks Xav for the 5am alarm!) and it's quiet understandable that I stuffed up the order.  I did actually think it was Thursday, so sent Grace to school believing it was Thursday and orange top day.  I saw the twins in Grace's class on the walk up, both wearing orange so it never occurred to me that I'd made the mistake.  It wasn't until Grace walked in the front gate and one of her friends pointed out that she was wearing the wrong colour.  I glanced around and sure enough, all the other kids (except 4 - phew!) were wearing yellow, Wednesdays colour.  Grace immediately went to tears, it's the first time she's cried since starting school (except for a few on her first day) and she clung to me, not wanting to go in.  Miss Pam offered for her to wear one of the yellow spares, but Grace was adamant she wouldn't wear anyone elses clothes.  I offered to race home and get hers, but the impact had already been, she just wanted me to stay.

I ended up sitting in on the class for half hour, she was ok, but still looked very sad.  I know she was just upset because she felt she was doing something wrong, even when we all tried to tell her it was fine.  I waited until she was settled, then said goodbye and headed out.  Later on I got an email from Miss Pam (how cool is the instant technology, but I'd love it even more if they had school-cam!!)

Hi Kirsten

Grace was a little upset when you left, however, we talked about the wonderful things about making mistakes – how the greatest inventions may never have been thought of if we hadn’t made mistakes.  In the Moonlight room mistakes are a way of learning.  I told Grace about the mistakes I’ve made and the great things I’ve learnt from them.  Her friends all told their stories as well and were so supportive.  It really was wonderful.  She was very happy after this and settled down to create some stories with her friends.

Hope you haven’t been too worried.

Warm wishes
Pam

What a wonderful take on it!  Just another reason I'm so happy with the school, with obviously so much care and respect for the children!  Grace was happy when I picked her up and ended up having a great day.  Apparently all the "orange" topped children played together!


The weirdest part was the night before I'd actually had a dream that something similar had happened, except it involved a hat.  I'd dreamt that I'd popped in on the way back from craft to see how she was and she was crying.  One of her friends (coincidentally the same one that pointed out the wrong colour top!!) came running up to me and said Grace was sad because he hat was too small.  Strange hey!

2 comments:

Blythe said...

That is such a wonderful story. How lovely that they turned it in to such a learning opportunity. I will definitely be looking in to this school!

Penelope said...

I love the sound of Grace's school. Sounds so magical and she must just love it.

Am loving catching up on all your entries...it's been far too long!