I've never really been into the 4 old skivvy wearing entertainers. I mean, they've obviously got a knack with the kids, and seem to be making a squillon dollars out of dancing and singing their way around the world - but I guess I was turned off by the over saturation and excess merchandising that also comes along with the hype. I'm not really into young kids/toddlers being head to toe billboards for their latest obsession and also the ethics of marketing to such a young age groups. Anyway.
We have an old Cd of theirs floating around the Ipod, and the kids often want it on for outside dancing concerts. It's not bad and I may or may not have been caught singing about hot potatoes once or twice. The kids do know who the wiggles are, thanks to being plastered all through the children's area of Dreamworld and I also did take them a few years back to a free concert they were doing at the theme park, which Grace enjoyed. Xav however wanting to be fed the whole time, which was difficult in a "standing room only, squashed in like sardines" environment and also having to watch a barely 2 y/o.
I could think of a million reasons to pass on the tickets. The Entertainment centre. LOTS of children, possible screaming ones. Driving to Brisbane in potentially bad weather. Watching a bunch of old men dancing around on stage whilst singing about their "Big ref car". Not really my idea of fun.
But, I sucked it up cause the kids were excited and had concert fever after their own little foray into the world of drama last week. I think they actually thought they would be one stage too.
We got the kids a Dvd out last week, so they could brush up on words and actions to all the songs. They spent the week getting their "Hot Potato" and "Dr Knickerbocker's" down pat.
Sunday came and as predicted the trip up was wet and somehow in the bags packing efforts, the critical element that would keep us dry for the long walk from the car to the entertainment centre was left on the kitchen bench. So, it was a wet whinging run (me, whingeing), as we tried to dodge all the other smart people, who came prepared for the weather.
I sat there waiting for it to start, cause that would mean it would be closer to ending. The kids were a little in awe of the amount of people pouring in and asking "When are they starting?"
Finally, after a big lead up and introduction to everyone else, the 4 skivvied dudes came out. The kids & parents went wild and I have to admit I may have been caught up in the hype by now.
The rest of the concert was pretty good. I couldn't believe how into it my kids were and they danced, sung, screamed and laughed the whole way. Watching them have so much fun and absolutely LOVE the experience, was worth it all. Xav was so disappointed when it ended, he had is groove on and was ready to keep on partying. They spent the car ride home talking about their favourite bits and asking "When can we go back? It was so much fun"
I'm inspired now to amp up the live theatre/concert visits and expose them to a wider variety. There are some great kid friendly productions on at the GC arts centre over summer, this year it's Beauty & the Beast. Grace will enjoy that, so I'll take her along. Xav might not be as excited over that, so I'll find something equalling enthralling for him.
0 comments:
Post a Comment